PICTURES OF JESUS
The stories in the Old Testament are stories of real people and events, and God used many of the stories to show us what He would do through Jesus. These stories are pictures, or shadows, of the bigger story of Jesus.
- Noah and the flood (Genesis 6–9)
- Abraham and Isaac (Genesis 22)
- Moses' rescue of the people (Exodus 1–14)
- Boaz's redemption of Ruth (Ruth 1–4)
- David and Goliath (1 Samuel 17)
WHAT DOES A PARENT OR LEADER NEED TO KNOW?
- Pictures of Jesus are broader than images of Jesus and concern story themes and ideas, not just people and objects.
- Pictures of Jesus are not always confirmed in the New Testament.
- Pictures of Jesus are not allegories. Individual stories matter, but their connections to Jesus can easily be recognized.
WHAT DOES A PRESCHOOLER NEED TO KNOW?
- Some Old Testament Bible stories remind us of what Jesus did (e.g. Just like Moses led the people out of slavery in Egypt, Jesus leads us out of slavery from sin).
WHAT DOES AN ELEMENTARY KID NEED TO KNOW?
- Some Old Testament Bible stories show us pictures of Jesus.
- All Bible stories are true and important.
WHAT DOES A PRETEEN NEED TO KNOW?
- Some Old Testament Bible stories show us pictures of Jesus in order to help us know how to live.
- Pictures of Jesus are true stories and should not be seen as allegories.