IMAGES OF JESUS
The story of the Bible centers on God's plan to provide a Rescuer to deliver people from sin. God reminded His people of this promise through repeated patterns of real people and objects in the Bible that point to Jesus. Each image helped His people better understand Jesus and recognize Him when He came.
- The tabernacle and veil (Hebrews 10:19-20)
- The sacrificial system (Hebrews 9:19-28)
- The Passover lamb (1 Corinthians 5:7)
WHAT DOES A PARENT OR LEADER NEED TO KNOW?
- Images are real people and real objects.
- Old Testament images of Jesus are sometimes clearly taught in the New Testament.
- What we learn about Jesus through the image is greater than the image itself.
WHAT DOES A PRESCHOOLER NEED TO KNOW?
- The Bible is one big story about Jesus.
- Many Bible stories sound the same (e.g. God rescues someone in distress, God wants His people to trust Him, etc.).
WHAT DOES AN ELEMENTARY KID NEED TO KNOW?
- The Bible repeats key themes.
- The Bible includes images and symbols that point to Jesus.
- Images convey one major idea.
WHAT DOES A PRETEEN NEED TO KNOW?
- Many images in the Old Testament connect with New Testament teachings.
- Images convey one major idea but may connect to Jesus in other ways as well.