The Bible is not just a story that helps us learn about Jesus; it is a story that helps us know Him and have a relationship with God through Him. The Old Testament helps us understand who God is, who we are, our need for forgiveness and salvation from God, and what God has done to save us through Jesus.
- The flood and God's grace (Genesis 6–9)
- The priests and their incomplete sacrifices (Leviticus 16)
- Israel's failures to obey time and time again (Judges 1)
- David's sin and God's mercy (2 Samuel 11; Psalm 51)
- God's faithful love (Hosea 1–3)
- God's patience and mercy (Jonah 1–4)
WHAT DOES A PARENT OR LEADER NEED TO KNOW?
- Every story connects to Jesus, but not every story connects to Him through prophecy, appearances, images, or pictures. We should not force Jesus into a story.
- Many Old Testament stories teach or reinforce basic truths about the gospel (e.g. God's holiness, God's justice, God's love, man's sinfulness).
- All of these gospel truths are fulfilled in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.