APPEARANCES OF JESUS
The Son of God has always existed, and there are several times in the Old Testament where He may have appeared on earth before He was born.
- Melchizedek (Genesis 14)
- Abraham's visitors (Genesis 18)
- Jacob's wrestling opponent (Genesis 32:22-32)
- The commander of the army (Joshua 5)
WHAT DOES A PARENT OR LEADER NEED TO KNOW?
- God the Son has always existed.
- There are times when someone appeared in the Old Testament who demonstrated the authority of God or spoke as God.
- Unlike prophecies about Jesus, appearances of Jesus are not clarified in Scripture, so take care when teaching them.
WHAT DOES A PRESCHOOLER NEED TO KNOW?
- The Bible teaches us about Jesus.
- Jesus came to help us understand what God is like.
WHAT DOES AN ELEMENTARY KID NEED TO KNOW?
- God has always existed as three Persons—Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- No one has seen God the Father (John 1:18; 4:24).
- Appearances of God in the Old Testament may have been of God the Son, to show what God is like and what He would do.
WHAT DOES A PRETEEN NEED TO KNOW?
- While God the Son may have appeared as a human in the Old Testament, He actually became a human in the New Testament.
- In the Old Testament, the phrase "the angel of the Lord" instead of "an angel of the Lord" is another clue that the Bible may be referring to the Son of God.