Amazing Grace tells the inspiring story of how one man's passion and perseverance changed the world. Based on the true-life story of William Wilberforce (Gruffudd), a leader of the British abolition movement, the film chronicles his epic struggle to pass a law to end the slave trade in the late 18th century. Along the way, Wilberforce meets intense opposition from members of Parliament who feel the slave trade is tied to the stability of the British Empire. Several friends, including Wilberforce's minister, John Newton (Finney), a reformed slave ship captain who penned the beloved hymn Amazing Grace, urge him to see the cause through.
DVD bonus content includes:
- Audio Commentary with Director Michael Apted and Ioan Gruffudd
- "How Sweet the Sound: The Story of Amazing Grace" - this half-hour documentary provides an in-depth look at the making of the film and the story's relevance to today.
- "Finding Freedom" - A Tour of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center providing factual information about modern-day slavery practices.
- Interactive Discussion Tools and Study Guides - The discussion guides provide thought-provoking questions that can be printed out for use in classrooms or bible study groups.
- Music video of Grammy Nominee Chris Tomlin's version of "Amazing Grace."