Sunday School Checklist for June, July, August
Your Sunday School can benefit by checking these and other areas of work as a new quarter begins. Summer is a great time to plan and promote activities the entire church family will enjoy. Also, now is a great time to do fall planning.
- Is Vacation Bible School planned? Is a plan in place for following up with those without a church background who attend VBS? Here are some online VBS helps:
- Evaluate your Welcoming Ministry. What plans do you have in place to welcome families who are visiting? How will families know which classes/departments to attend?
- Conduct a prayer walk. Invite teachers to join you on a prayer walk through your church. Divide the group of teachers into smaller prayer groups. Go to each room and pray for teachers and learners in that room.
- Ensure that leaders are trained this summer. You can download free resources from four different LifeWay Sunday School training emphases:
- The 5-Step Formula for Sunday School Growth
- The 3D Sunday School
- I-6 Invite: A Six-Lane Strategy Toward and Inviting Sunday School – 3D, Part 2
- The Discover Triad: Three Facets of a Dynamic Sunday School Class – 3D, Part 3
- LifeWay Ridgecrest and Glorieta Conference Centers offer Sunday School Events that surpass any other training opportunity.
- Check your state and association for regional Sunday School leadership training opportunities.
- Prepare the fall curriculum order. The LifeWay Sunday School Curriculum Guide is available with descriptions and downloads of upcoming quarterly products. Keep in mind leaders in training and new Sunday School classes that will start in the fall.
- Continue to locate all the new leaders you need for the new Sunday School year and annual promotion.
- Ensure that all leadership areas are staffed for the Fourth of July weekend.
- Plan an End-of-Summer Picnic. Enlist learners to help plan the event. Invite prospect families, visiting families, and members.
- Review Sunday School policies as you plan for the new Sunday School year. Make copies to distribute.
- Clean rooms. Remove outdated curriculum, broken resources, and other unused items.
- For FAITH churches, now is the time to complete fall recruitment plans. Are your leadership commitments in? Is the banquet planned? Are you able to use All on the Altar to discover more Learners?
- Follow up on Vacation Bible School. Enlist additional leaders if needed.
- Finalize Sunday School enlistment by making home visits. Talk with each leader about expectations, perhaps using a leader covenant.
- Complete work on annual promotion by completing Sunday School class and department records. Give each leader the roll, with information that includes members and prospects with phone numbers, addresses, birthdates, and email addresses.
- Coordinate room usage. Encourage leaders who use the same room to determine a room arrangement.
- Kick off your fall semester of FAITH. Provide all teams a current copy of their class roll.
- If you are not currently involved in FAITH, establish a strategy for outreach. The resource Outreach Teams That Win: GROW Manual is a good tool to help get an outreach ministry started.
- Conduct Sunday School Kickoff events. Stress the importance of Sunday School ministry by commissioning all leaders.